Friday, November 11, 2011

Job Satisfaction on the Overland Track

My first month working as a guide on the Overland Track (a trail running North-south through the Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Parks) has seen 12 different weather conditions: sunshine, cloud cover, fog, mist, rain, hail, sleet, blizzards, snow, howling winds, thunder storms, regular storms. In all of these conditions, I couldn't help smiling.

Coming from living on the west coast of Canada for 2 years, I was looking for wilderness, mountains and a training ground for running. Here in Tasmania, I think I have found it. A typical day involves waking up for a pre-work workout (thanks to my wonderful coach and friend Jen Segger), preparing breakfast for our guests, and then setting out on a 6 hour day of walking and exploring the beautiful nature of the park, climbing a mountain or two, swimming in sub-10 degree weather, building wonderful relationships with our guests, dinner and sleep (often outside under the brilliant southern stars).

Life, surrounded by so much untouched beauty, is uncomplicated!















































Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment